Concept Lab Technician
Fast + Epp is an internationally recognized structural engineering firm with a team that prioritizes creativity and simplicity. We work with all materials but are well known for our mass timber and timber-hybrid projects. We love working on architecturally expressive structures, on every scale from single-family homes to large institutional buildings. We enjoy work with a high premium on structural expression. We strive to improve people’s lives through practical, holistic structural design.
Hours and Days of Work
37.5 hour / 5-day Work Week; Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5pm.*
*Periodic flexibility may be required to suit external delivery & installation schedules
This position reports to the Research & Development Director.
As a Concept Lab Technician, you will be responsible for the technical operations and equipment of the Lab. This position supports all physical testing, fabrication, and maintenance activities within the Concept Lab including staff allocated to Lab use.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- 2-5 years of lab experience, strong preference given to experience in a structural or materials lab
- Capacity for regular multitasking with the ability to set priorities effectively.
- Professional, friendly, and cooperative personality.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering research techniques.
- Good interpersonal and organization skills & ability to work with a variety of personalities and projects.
- Proficient in use of general woodworking and steel shop tools as well as basic testing lab equipment.
- Willingness to learn to use digital software and digital fabrication technologies for model building and prototyping.
- Consistently bring tasks to completion in a timely manner
- Ability to remain organized with multiple priorities and simultaneous tasks
- Successful completion of post-secondary technical education in Civil or Mechanical Engineering/Technology or related discipline strongly preferred
- Knowledge of relevant lab testing procedures (ASTM, AASHTO, CSA)
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and data processing.
- Safety conscious attitude. First Aid or WHMIS training is preferred.
- Experience in digital fabrication (3D printing, robotics) is an asset.
Duties – Lab Management
- Maintain a safe and organized Lab area
- Assemble and prioritize projects and ideas for research within the lab in connection with the Research & Development Department.
- Perform or arrange for regular maintenance of all lab equipment including wood working equipment, metal working equipment, 3D printer, robotic arm, hydraulic actuator.
- Procure necessary lab equipment and materials as needed for various projects
- Coordinate lab logistics including shipping, material handling, testing, material disposal
- Ensure Lab functions within annual operating budget
- Provide Lab procedures and organization to allow safe and timely use of lab equipment.
- Facilitate lab activities for research projects
- Liaise with Marketing and Administration Staff for coordination of lab use by external parties.
- Provide updates on Lab projects and content for Marketing use.
- Provide training and supervision for lab users.
Why Work For Us?
- Work for an industry leader; contribute to exciting and challenging projects
- We are committed to your professional development, with offered tuition assistance
- Flexible working hours with the ability to utilize "Flex Time" for additional paid time off.
- Annual company profitability and discretionary bonuses
- Office closure between Christmas and New Years Day.
- A positive working atmosphere
- Social events and activities - we like to have fun too!
- Customizable extended health plan, Dental coverage, a health care spending account and RRSP matching
- Located in a very transit friendly location, complete with a Transit subsidy
If you feel like you would be a good fit for this position, please apply with your resume. Due to the volume of applicants we will only be contacting qualified candidates.
Fast + Epp is an equal opportunity employer, embracing diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills