Fast + Epp is an internationally recognized structural engineering firm with a team that prioritizes creativity and simplicity. We work with all materials but are well known for our mass timber and timber-hybrid projects. We love working on architecturally expressive structures, on every scale from single-family homes to large institutional buildings. We enjoy work with a high premium on structural expression. We strive to improve people’s lives through practical, holistic structural design.
Scope of the Role
The Project Accountant is accountable for ensuring that the project billings are issued to customers and payments are collected. They work closely with the Project Manager monitoring the progress and performance of the projects within their portfolio from a financial perspective.
The Project Accountant is also responsible for managing the firm’s payroll system which encompasses accurate and timely salary processing and updating employee information.
General Function of the Role
- Thoroughly understands accounting concepts and financial statements.
- Excellent knowledge of business mathematical calculations.
- Has a high level of accuracy working with numbers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both orally and written.
- Able to focus, manage time well, prioritize and stay organized.
- Ability to compose letters, memos, and financial reports.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion and to protect confidential and sensitive information.
- Takes responsibility and stands behind their work.
- Must respect and cooperate with others and be willing to help when asked.
- Proficient in using Excel and Sage.
- Perform day to day management of all receivable cycle activities and provide efficient client service for their portfolio.
- Creates, updates, maintains projects in system and ensures billing setup is in accordance to the contract/proposal.
- Updates projects for change orders.
- Assist the Project Manager in the review and approval of timesheets, projects expenses, and consultant invoices.
- Produces draft and final copies of all invoices and sends out to clients in compliance with financial policies and procedures.
- Manage project consultants and their contracts and the timely payment of their invoices.
- Sends out monthly client statements and communicates with clients an any queries they have.
- Reports on project performance to Project Managers and the Director of Finance.
- Archives project admin/accounting files quarterly.
- Prepares banking deposits as required.
- Assists finance team with maintenance of database software.
- Assists the Controller and the Director of Finance in other duties as required
- Prepares and maintains payroll information through the third-party vendor by collecting, calculating, entering, and reconciling data.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Participate in payroll reviews and audits.
- Maintains employee benefits programs as they relate to payroll and validates calculations.
- Support the HR team in setting up, maintaining and reconciling benefit accruals.
- Ensure compliance with governmental laws on payroll accounting and taxes and best practices of each.
- Create and review timesheets for overall compliance to the firms’ policies.
- Contributes to month-end and year-end closures.
How You fit into the Team
- The Project Accountant reports to the Director of Finance. They work closely with the rest of the finance team.
- Undergraduate degree in business with a specialization in accounting or finance.
- 2+ years in an accounting role performing full cycle accounting.
Why Work For Us?
- Work for an industry leader; contribute to exciting and challenging projects
- We are committed to your professional development, with offered tuition assistance
- Flexible working hours with the ability to utilize "Flex Time" for additional paid time off.
- Annual company profitability and discretionary bonuses
- Office closure between Christmas and New Years Day.
- A positive working atmosphere
- Social events and activities - we like to have fun too!
- Customized to your liking extended health plan, Dental coverage, a health care spending account and RRSP matching
- Located in a very transit friendly location, complete with a generous Transit subsidy
If you feel like you would be a good fit for this position, please apply with your resume. Due to the volume of applicants we will only be contacting qualified candidates.
Fast + Epp is an equal opportunity employer, embracing diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills